What's in

Monday, December 6, 2010

Mail-woman

Who knew our teachers were treated a break after their so-called "helping", during the school's accreditation? Yes, I know I should be grateful for the rift we get from our instructors, but thinking of the effort wasted coming to school -despite the rain- for nothing, made my blood simmer. Plus my shoes were soaked too. But I guess this was one of those one-in-a-million-don't-let-it-go chances I get in college, so I took to my book.

I could never fail to commend Nicholas Sparks (my favorite novelist by the way) on every book I've read by him, especially this one I'm currently pored to right now. I know romance isn't my front, for I myself ain't a romantic. But Sparks just...captivates my interest in this other-worldly way. So, the book's entitled "Message in a Bottle", and it's about this divorced woman finding a letter inside a bottle, washed-up on the shore. Though it was not addressed to her, obviously, she found herself moved by the writers emotion, and saw how beautifully he wrote the letter to his lost love, seeking to have that kind of love herself. I'm not through with the book though, so that's all I could explicate.

Then during our Speech Communication class(the only class I had for the day), our teacher made us listen to this country song as an activity. In exchange of her tedious class discussion, she gave us test papers to fill up the blanks from the lyrics of the song. For the first time ever since I've found a love for music, did I like a country song that isn't by Taylor Swift. The tune wasn't exactly catchy to my ears, but the message was extremely affective.

I read a note my Grandma wrote back in 1923
Grandpa kept it in his coat, and he showed it once to me
He said, "Boy, you might not understand, but a long, long time ago,
Grandma's daddy didn't like me none, but I love your Grandma so.

We had this crazy plan to meet and run away together
Get married in the first town we came to and live forever
But nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet instead
I found this letter, and this is what it said :

"If you get there before I do
Don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be

But I'm not gonna let you down
Darling wait and see
And between now and then
Til I see you again

I'll be loving you
Love, Me."

I read those words just hours before my Grandma passed away
In the doorway of the church where me and Grandpa stopped to pray
I know I've never seen him cry in all my fifteen years
But as he said these words to her, his eyes fill up with tears

"If you get there before I do
Don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be
I was like, wow. Now that's what you call "true love". I noticed the similarities with the song and the book, and how they had the same depth to them. If i were a mailbox, I'd be filled with love.
Everything I've read today cools down to one thing, and I was reminded by this verse from Proverbs 4:23 - "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life". True love waits. Being students, our task is to study, graduate to honor our parents, and especially God. Let's not let the world drag us down with it, but let's protect ourselves from it, and guard our hearts and minds above everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment